Mainland China flights
An interesting post on the Thorn Tree (#7) about Chinese flights:
- No discounts before 2 weeks in advance of flights.
- Routes with more carriers tend to have many more discounts available, and deeper discounts.
- Cheapest price is likely within the week before a flight departs.
- 70% of customers in China buy their plane tickets within 3 days of the flight
- Fares are declining about 5% year on year (apparently neglecting the fact there is now a fuel surcharge on all flights that was implemented last year). I have noticed Haikou-Shenzhen is a few RMB more than last year, so perhaps that is not so true anymore.
- Cost is nearly always based on distance, and often set by the government.